[Cialug] Intel PRO/Wireless ipw3945

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Wed Apr 25 10:20:46 CDT 2007

Tony Bibbs wrote:
> According to Google this integrated wireless card should work.  Using opensuse it requires the ip3945d and ipw-firmware packages.  Those are installed but no  dice.  When I try to modprobe ipw3945 I get errors in dmesg about undefined symbols.  This eventually led me to thinking maybe it doesn't like the stock ieee80211 subsystem with the default kernel I have so I tried grabbing the latest ieee80211 stuff.  Problem with that is I'm not sure how to configure the system to use that package instead of the kernel's.  I tried to disable it in the kernel but there are so many other options that force it to be included that I can't do it.
>
> So any thoughts on where to go next?
>
> --Tony

I have this card working on my Dell D620 under Mandriva 2007.

I would think that you're on the right path - the unresolved symbols
errors usually mean that either the module is messed up, or something is
out of sync with it and the kernel. Did the 3945 modules come from the
same source as the kernel, or did you download them from rpmfind or
something?

-dc