[Cialug] Eye candy only partially working

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sun Apr 8 23:33:57 CDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 22:40 -0500, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

> Any idea what i should look at first for figuring out a problem like
> this? I have little experience with making 3D acceleration work under
> Linux. The machine has an Intel graphics chip and so thankfully uses
> open source drivers.

I'm not a Debian user, so I can't say for sure but check to see if you
are using the "i810" or the "intel" driver.  The "intel" driver is a
newer version that's supposed to support the Intel video chips better.

Also, even though Intel is doing pretty good these days about supporting
open source drivers for their graphics chips the 3D performance of the
open source drives may not be on par with the proprietary Windows or OSX
drivers.

Jeff