[Cialug] Satellite ISPs

david l goodrich dlg at dsrw.org
Fri Apr 6 13:33:48 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 12:10:47PM -0500, Jim Cole wrote:
> Are they really that bad?  I've never tried it but I work from home and VPN
> into my company..someone in my office had the satellite service for a bit
> and said VPN worked and it was usable. I've never experiences it.

I interned at a manufacturing company a few summers back and we
evaluated Verizon's sattellite offering as a backup to the
redundant fiber links, since the fiber crossed somewhere near
ames and (of course) a backhoe found it.  "geographically
separate" my ass.

Anyway.  The latency was terrible, it was barely enough to run
the factory at an acceptable pace.  We were within tolerances,
but definitely at the slow end of the scale.  The workers
complained that network lookups for the barcodes (centrally
stored at corporate HQ) was 2-3 times slower than usual.

The office workers were disconnected from the network, otherwise
this would never have worked.

It'll work, sorta, but it won't be pretty.
  --david