UPDATE Re: [Cialug] upgrading opensuse 10.1 -> 10.2

Matt Patterson matt at usrlocal.com
Thu Apr 5 14:19:00 CDT 2007

Ah, the joys of system administration.

I found the general source of my issues with the upgrade and grub problem.
It was one of the grub files other than menu.lst.    I'm guessing the
stage1 or 2 files.

Here is how I fixed the issue.  I booted off the opensuse10.2 install Cd
into rescue mode.  Mounted the root partition and brought up an IP.  From
there I went to its matching sister server and grabbed everything from
/boot and /lib/modules since I was basically rolling back the kernel at
this point.  Once the files were in place on the mounted root partition, I
re-ran the grub setup commands, rebooted, prayed to the bit gods and
Eureka!  SUSE boots as expected.

I still have a snapshot of the bad boot directory and I am going to try
and see what was screwed up.  Needless to say, this is VERY annoying that
this has now happened twice on different hardware.

Has anyone else been bitten like this?

-Matt