[Cialug] upgrading opensuse 10.1 -> 10.2

Matt Patterson matt at usrlocal.com
Thu Apr 5 01:26:50 CDT 2007

All,

I'm starting to get that urge to kill again.  It's been one of those
nights.

I'm having an issue with the upgrade process from opensuse 10.1 to
opensuse 10.2. Here is what I have done.  I have a local mirror of the
opensuse repository and have set my boxes to look at the opensuse stable
repository as described by the help section of the opensuse site.

I have successfully gotten one box to go through the upgrade process
getting the patches for 10.1, reboot for the new kernel and then getting
the rest of the packages to update to 10.2.

Last week, on matching hardware as the 1st successful update, opensuse
failed to write out a proper menu.lst file for grub.  It put in the
initrd line but left out the root and kernel lines which, based on past
experience, are pretty important.

So, I got around that issue and figured it was a fluke.  That is, until
tonight happened.  Tonight's issue is happening on different hardware (IBM
instead of Dell).  Instead of getting a screwed up menu.lst file, I get a
'Grub loading, please wait' line to flash across my screen before the
system reboots.    I booted up a rescue CD, got into grub and did the
normal root and setup command.  It states that everything went fine.  But
I'm still in the reboot loop hell.

With different hardware between the issues, I'm starting to think that
there is a bug in suse.

Any thoughts on how to get this box back and what I can do to avoid this
issue in the future?  I'm going to try lilo in the morning and see if that
will allow this thing to boot properly.

-Matt