[Cialug] SED replace IP help

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Fri Sep 22 14:36:12 CDT 2006

Why not use dyndns.com to give you a static name for that server? Then
you can use one of their update clients or manually update the IP from
time to time. That is what I do for our videophone. As a deaf person, I
need a public IP in order for other deaf to call me on the videophone,
but I don't want to pay for the static IP address. So I set up a
dynamic DNS name through dyndns.com. I hear that there is another
service called no-ip, but I have had good success with dyndns.com that
I never checked that other one out.

You can set up one account for free and then I think you can have as
many names under that account as you need. They have other DNS based
services too if it will help. Those are mostly for charge.  I get my
domain names through them also as a way of supporting them for
providing our dynamic DNS names.

FYI

Stuart Thiessen