[Cialug] Volunteer Opportunity for CIALUG: West Des Moines Teen Center

Adk adk at 52761.com
Mon Oct 30 08:41:18 CST 2006

PCCGS (Pearl City Computer Geek Society) in Muscatine had a similar
situation.
We resurected 8 boxes at the Flickenger Learning Center- A local facility
serving
low-income and GED students. They have a cable connection to a SuSe
firewall,
print/file server. We picked SuSe for easy gui tools on server. Workstations
are
all Ubuntu. System has been up for 18 months. I have had two phone calls.
Both
times because of power interruptions with server. Reboot fixed it.

We have discussed switching to thin clients but don't have a server with
enough
resources.

A member of our group created a script to run on dapper that opens
repositories,
and installs flash, java, true type fonts, and multimedia support. I can
send a link
if you would like to use it- a real time saver.

If you have any questions- let me know.

Allen Kiddoo
PCCGS.org