[Cialug] Oooh, Barracuda (WAS: Sendmail spam rejection)

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Oct 24 19:17:10 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 19:00 -0500, kristau wrote:
> On 10/24/06, Dave Weis <djweis at internetsolver.com> wrote:
> >
> > We have a Barracuda that does this very well. It attempts an SMTP
> > connection to the backend server when it sees a new address.
>
> At work, our current spam protection solution sucks.  And that's
> putting it mildly.  I'm familiar with spamassasin, but I'm looking for
> something more appliance-y and end-user-friendly.
>
> What's your overall assesment of the Barracuda, Dave?  A simple thumbs
> up/thumbs down will suffice, unless you want to expound.

Take a look at Astaro (www.astaro.com).  They offer appliances but it's
running Linux and many other open-source packages underneath a custom
web UI.  You can even install the software on your own i386 box (as a
demo, or a permanent solution).  We run the Astaro software on our own
HP DL385 with 2 dual core AMD Opterons.  It's all webby, so the
non-Linux-clueful can administer it, but you can still SSH in and get a
root prompt (although they say that you'll void your warranty if you
make any changes from the SSH prompt and not through the web UI).

Jeff