[Cialug] So who didn't see this one coming?

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 14:12:33 CST 2006

On 11/17/06, David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> wrote:

> I know this is kind of a conspiracy-theory leap... but Caldera was a
> spin-off from Novell... -> Caldera becomes SCO -> Microsoft helps SCO in
> the IBM case... -> Microsft partners with Suse / Novell...

Hey, anything that makes Novell/SuSE look more sinister/evil I'm all for at
this point.  Their fiery end cannot come soon enough for my taste.

BTW, Novell didn't really run on the Windows OS. You installed a Netware
> client in Windows so you could access the shares. The Novell OS usually
> ran on a dedicated file server. You could run a non-dedicated server
> back in the Netware 386 days, and run a Win3.1 desktop on top of
> Netware, but that made things slow and crappy in both Netware and Windows.

Thanks for the clarification.  I've been kinda bad at that today.  Didn't
mean for it to sound like netware ran on anything.  Netware was it's own
server, and the best way to do network drive shares 10+ years ago.  ...And
if I remember correctly cost about 40 grand (which is a large part of the
reason it doesn't exist anymore).

-G