[Cialug] OT: Gigabit speeds (was Gigabit NICs)

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Nov 14 12:52:26 CST 2006

I wonder if you could ever really approach a gigabit from any machine.
Anybody have any concrete data?

We did some multicast imaging of desktop machines with gigabit adapters and
hit over 100 mb/s (106 iirc) and I thought that was excellent.  The only way
I could imagine going faster would be direct from memory but then there is
the lousy desktop bus.

I seem to recall some gigabit adapters have their own Southbridge, or node
on some motherboards.  What is the speed of a PCI or PCI/x bus like?

-Nate