[Cialug] Hosting web sites

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Wed May 24 07:16:56 CDT 2006

They all can. What you are talking about is a function of your apache
configuration and not the OS. You can google "apache virtualhosts" for
more information.

There isn't any differance in the config for "commercial" or "personal"
sites,  although, an ISP may tweak some apache and/or filesystem
settings for a heavily loaded webserver.

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 06:45, Carl Olsen wrote:
> What free versions of Linux can host web sites?  I'm running SUSE 9.3
> Professional right now and it appears to be able to run more than one web
> site (I have 4 different sites hosted on it now).  When I go to the SUSE web
> site, it says it's for hosting a personal web site and doesn't say anything
> about hosting multiple sites for commercial web hosting.
>
> Is there some kind of limitation on the number of connections or something
> that prevents it from being a viable hosting option?
>
> I'm about ready to install PHP5 and MySQL5 on a Windows 2003 server and I
> was just wondering if SUSE Linux 9.3 Professional or SUSE Linux 10.1 would
> do just as well.
>
> I use SUSE because it comes with Mono and PostgreSQL and one of my web sites
> uses those two options.  I see Red Hat is now including Mono, but I've
> already gotten familiar with SUSE.
>
> Carl Olsen
> Des Moines

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606