[Cialug] Hosting web sites

Carl Olsen carl-olsen at mchsi.com
Wed May 24 06:45:18 CDT 2006

What free versions of Linux can host web sites?  I'm running SUSE 9.3
Professional right now and it appears to be able to run more than one web
site (I have 4 different sites hosted on it now).  When I go to the SUSE web
site, it says it's for hosting a personal web site and doesn't say anything
about hosting multiple sites for commercial web hosting.

Is there some kind of limitation on the number of connections or something
that prevents it from being a viable hosting option?

I'm about ready to install PHP5 and MySQL5 on a Windows 2003 server and I
was just wondering if SUSE Linux 9.3 Professional or SUSE Linux 10.1 would
do just as well.

I use SUSE because it comes with Mono and PostgreSQL and one of my web sites
uses those two options.  I see Red Hat is now including Mono, but I've
already gotten familiar with SUSE.

Carl Olsen
Des Moines