[Cialug] New PC - Old Printer

Tad Anhalt tja at netins.net
Thu May 18 19:31:27 CDT 2006

Rob Miller wrote:
> I've tried the printer-cables-adaptors with one of the USB ports on my
> other Dell that's running Win2k and it does not work there, either.

  I realise that this doesn't actually answer the question, but maybe
helpful anyway...

  When I ran into this issue a while back, I just went ahead and bought
one of those mini print servers that plug right into the printer.  It
has a ethernet port off of the back, fits completely inside the access
panel on the side of the printer and runs lpd so everything in the world
seems to know how to talk to it.

  IIRC, it was about $35 and worked right out of the box with linux.
Kind of refreshing actually.

Tad Anhalt