[Cialug] graphics accelerator

chris129 at cs.iastate.edu chris129 at cs.iastate.edu
Mon May 8 13:50:12 CDT 2006

Nope.  I've heard of some things in the early stages, but of course getting open
hardware out is more difficult than open software.

Anyway, you're better off going Nvidia.  While they may be anti-FOSS, they're at
least intelligent developers and can actually write good drivers.
ATI can't even get their Windows drivers correct.

My understanding is that the reason 3d drivers are a nightmare is because often
the hardware on the cards is actually bad, ie incorrect, and the software is
used to fix that since by the time the issues are found they're half-way
through designing the next chip.
Up until now graphics drivers have just been so fast to throw up new features
and such that quality is left in the dust and made up for in the software.

But now there are going to be two major OS's dependent on working 3d drivers
(Vista and OS X), and there are only two companies competing with some pretty
loyal customers.  I also would say the game world has come into a more typical
growth rate; most kids are already playing too many games.

So it's my theory that within a decade the 3d graphics world will no longer
suck.  But for today, it still sucks.  But much like voting in partisan
politics you're stuck with a decision of the lesser of two evils; and that's
Nvidia.

Regardless of their FOSS stance, the company has gone through hoops to keep
respectable linux drivers.  And you've got to give them some credit for that.

But don't expect more than a month of straight runtime.

BTW, I'd recommend a card capable of dual monitor support.  Dual heads are
wonderful; unless you've already got a gigantic widescreen lcd.