[Cialug] DSL v. Cable (Ankeny)

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Thu May 4 10:50:00 CDT 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> Unless it's changed recently, the cable modems that are supplied by
> Mediacom do not do NAT or firewalling or anything but bridge the traffic
> between your computer and the Mediacom network.  The 192.168.x.x address
> mentioned is used strictly for managing the cable modem.

They started providing modems that have nat built in, along with some that
have wireless. Imagine people wanting to use more than one computer or
wireless on their connection. Of course, Qwest stopped providing the
inexpensive wireless modem directly after that...

--
Dave Weis
djweis at internetsolver.com
http://www.internetsolver.com/