[Cialug] DSL v. Cable (Ankeny)

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Thu May 4 10:18:07 CDT 2006

Sorry, this is a little OT from the original question but the IP caught my
eye.

Am I to understand then that Mediacom does not provide their customers with
a real IP address?  I know they're supposed to be DHCP and the IP changes
every 3 days or so but 192.168.x.x is a private IP range and that would be a
problem for me.

Or is the modem a built in NATing router?  The modem gets a real IP but NATs
it and sends out a connected IP. If this is the case can the NATing be
turned off on the modem so the real IP is passed through?  Or can you get
just a Modem without a built in NATing router?

Thanks,
Gamble