[Cialug] DSL v. Cable (Ankeny)

Jerry Heiselman jweida at gmail.com
Thu May 4 06:30:46 CDT 2006

Yes, this is true.  They are using QoS Assurance to deliver higher quality
phone connections, but I've never heard of it being that big of a problem.
A single voice line takes about 110Kbs for above average sounding quality.
My guess would be that you are on a router that is over saturated with
customers or the line to your house is not clean and needs to be re-worked.
One way to tell if the line has a high interference rate would be to examine
the diagnostic pages inside your modem.  Most modems have a builtin
webserver at 192.168.100.1.  If you go to that page in a web browser, the
modem will immediately pick it up and direct you to it.

Things to look for are SNR (should be no lower than 25 average),
microreflections should be no higher than 1000 per day that the modem has
been online (not all modems show this metric), and the power output should
be no higher than 46 give or take a couple of points.

If all of these things are good, then it's probably over saturation of the
market and you can ask if they have any plans on putting in a new router to
support the growth.

Jerry