[Cialug] VMWare Server

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Mar 23 22:01:47 CST 2006

I am using the free beta now.  I find that the server componant works
well,
but the linux client has a tendency to crash.  It's not frequent, but
it's been
more than once.

We are also using the pay-version of the server for some of our clients.
It is working very well and we have no issues in the last several weeks.
It can be hard to get running if you have unusual hardware, but for
regular
network-based services, it should work well for you.

So far as the number of VMs, I've run around 5 on a box.  I don't think
that
there is a real limit other than physical resource usage.  Amount of
memory
and processors seems to make the difference.

Once caution.  If you *decrease* memory since you initially installed
vmware,
it may still think the original amount is present.  This can cause
issues.  I had 2Gb
reduced it to 1Gb (needed the RAM elsewhere) in a test machine, and
fired off two
VMs.  They each tried to use 1Gb.  If you adjust the VM properties after
the
hardware change, this is not a problem.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701
>>> tim06 at perdue.net 03/23/06 9:05 PM >>>
Has anyone messed with VMWare server? I use VMWare workstation 5.5
heavily for my own development work, but I want to deploy some virtual
servers at my ISP rather than stack in extra boxes.

Just want to know if anyone has used it and how many VMs they have run
on a single box.

Tim