[Cialug] VMWare Server

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Mar 23 21:57:13 CST 2006

I have Vmware ESX server in my work environment.  Frankly, it rocks.

I have 8 virtual machines running on a dual 3.2 ghz machine with 6 GB RAM.

Once you have a fast machine the main constraints become memory and disk
space.  VMWare ESX server supports virtual memory itself but I think my
virtual memory never gets touched and is just there to let the virtual
machines see more RAM.  Of course Windows uses memory a little differently
from *NIX.  I do have a mix of OSs running though.

I think with a slimmed down installation you could run a *lot* of
not-very-busy sites on one machine.  Another nice feature is that since the
hardware is virtualized, when the machines get faster, you just move your VM
to the faster machine and away you go.  I wish they had a
vmware-player/server-type thing just for the hardware independence it could
provide.

You should be able to get a demo of ESX server if you can convince them you
are serious enough about buying it.

-Nate