[Cialug] fstab options

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Wed Mar 22 15:23:46 CST 2006

Is there a way to set options in /etc/fstab such that if a partition is
present at boot it will be mounted, but if it is not present there
won't be any errors that halt the boot process? This is on Linux.

I am wondering because i have a portable USB drive and i'd like to be
able to unmount and remove it without worrying about any hassle on
reboot. As for why i'd be worried about rebooting a Linux box, well,
this is on my computer at work, which has some hardware issues. So far
it hasn't actually crashed on me but i need to reboot it about twice a
month because the (proprietary, ATI) graphics driver wedges in such a
way that the only effective solution is to log in remotely and reboot
the whole machine.