[Cialug] Sendmail

albus albus at iowaconnect.com
Wed Mar 22 14:17:11 CST 2006

This may not be news to some, but thought I'd put it out there for those
that may not have seen it yet.

--------------snip-----------
 National Cyber Alert System

                 Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-081A

Sendmail Race Condition Vulnerability

   Original release date: March 22, 2006
   Last revised: --
   Source: US-CERT

Systems Affected

   Sendmail versions prior to 8.13.6.

Overview

   A race condition in Sendmail may allow a remote attacker to execute
   arbitrary code.

I. Description

   Sendmail contains a race condition caused by the improper handling of
   asynchronous signals. In particular, by forcing the SMTP server to
   have an I/O timeout at exactly the correct instant, an attacker may be
   able to execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the Sendmail
   process.

   Details, including statements from affected vendors are available in
   the following Vulnerability Note:
   VU#834865 - Sendmail contains a race condition
   A race condition in Sendmail may allow a remote attacker to execute
   arbitrary code.
   (CVE-2006-0058)

   Please refer to the Sendmail MTA Security Vulnerability Advisory and
   the Sendmail version 8.13.6 release page for more information.