[Cialug] OT: what computer....

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Fri Mar 10 16:43:52 CST 2006

When I get this question, I just assume that they will need a lot of
hand holding.  My advice for rhe last year or two is to tell them to buy
a $499 or $599 Dell and then plan on throwing it away in  two years and
then buy a new one.

If they are someone who needs something more than that, they will
already have an idea or will say something like, "Can I work on my giant
excel spreadsheet on this computer?" Then you can say, get the 1299.00
one with bigger lcd display and 2gb of ram... blah, blah, blah...

:) Dave

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 15:13, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Those are two questions are just too vague to give a simple answer.
> Especially the "what computer should I get." I cringe when I hear it.
>
> I agree with Dave C., if you really don't want to deal with it I think
> your best option is to push them towards one of the local shops.
>
> Personally I try not to send anyone to stores like
> Best Buy, CompUSA, or Walmart for a new PC/laptop.
> If they get one there you're more likely to end up
> being their support person.
>
> If they can get by with a pretty generic PC then I'd lend then
> a hand in evaluating a specific model of Dell/HP/Sony/Toshiba, etc.
>
> -Jeff
>

> Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> > Inevitably you get asked the question by a family member or somebody at
> > work: what computer should I get?  Is Dell OK?
> >
> > I always shrug.
> >
> > To me telling somebody to go to dell is akin to sending somebody to Wal-Mart
> > or Microsoft and hanging them out to dry.
> >
> > And just to keep this off-thread, and Linux out of the picture, let's say
> > Apple is not an option.  This person wants "Microsoft".
> >
> > What do you do?
> >
> > -Nate

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606