[Cialug] Cannot retrieve mail through internal nework

Chris Van Cleve vanish at dreamscapevisionery.com
Fri Jun 30 12:49:43 CDT 2006

Dave W,

It was indeed missing the inet_interfaces directive. Unfortunately,
adding that didn't correct the problem.

Dave C,

Thanks for the main.cf I compared yours with my old one and my new
one, and updated the new one accordingly. No change.
Using nmap, I see port 25 is open, but port 110 is not. (confused)

Josh,

Using your method I admit to being noting but confused. ;) Here is te
output I get when running that command:

debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_4.2p1 Debian-7ubuntu3
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
debug1: setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted
debug1: rexec_argv[0]='/usr/sbin/sshd'
debug1: rexec_argv[1]='-p'
debug1: rexec_argv[2]='25'
debug1: rexec_argv[3]='-D'
debug1: rexec_argv[4]='-d'
debug1: Bind to port 25 on ::.
debug1: Bind to port 25 on 0.0.0.0.
Bind to port 25 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Permission denied.
Cannot bind any address.

So I ran the netstat command and got:

(No info could be read for "-p": geteuid()=1000 but you should be root.)
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25432           0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN     -
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:34694         127.0.0.1:45825
ESTABLISHED-
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.101:25432     12.206.145.136:2771
TIME_WAIT  -
tcp        0      0 192.168.1.101:25432     12.206.145.136:2772
TIME_WAIT  -
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:45825         127.0.0.1:34694
ESTABLISHED-

12.206.145.136 is my WAN (Internet) IP

Unfortunately I have no idea what that's telling me. I'm presently
reading man for netstat. Heh.

Chris VC