[Cialug] SUSE 10.1 or Debian?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Tue Jul 11 08:43:28 CDT 2006

It is possible to upgrade Debian from one version to another. A couple
weeks ago i tried it just to see if it would work. The computer was set
up as a desktop system, so it had a lot more stuff on it than a server
would (and thus a lot more opportunity for the upgrade to go wrong). I
upgraded from the Sarge/Stable distribution to Etch/Testing. I
edited /etc/apt/sources.list and changed "stable" to testing". Then i
ran aptitude and told it to update.

Normally when i install updates (such as security fixes and whatnot) i
only have to run aptitude once, and reboot if a kernel update was
included. For such a major change i think i had to run aptitude a total
of 5 times, each time telling it to update itself. And each time it
would download more stuff and upgrade different parts of the system.
>From what i've read online, when doing a distro upgrade like that it is
normal to have to run aptitude more than once. Anyway, once it was all
done and didn't find anything else to upgrade, the system still worked.
But it was running a new version of Debian. I was quite impressed.

During the upgrade the system stayed up. I would imagine for a simpler
configuration, such as a web server, that the only downtime would be
when the machine was rebooted to load the new kernel, and when Apache
was restarted to load the new version of it. I run my servers and
desktop Linux machines on Debian Sarge, but after seeing how easy it is
to upgrade am thinking of moving the desktop machine to Etch. I'll keep
the servers on Sarge until shortly after Etch becomes stable.

I don't know about upgrading SUSE. The closest distribution that i have
much familiarity with is Red Hat. With Red Hat it is possible to
upgrade without a reinstall (by telling up2date to look at the package
repository for the new version, and then running it several times), but
it is not supported, not recommended, and not guaranteed to work. The
official path to upgrading is to do a reinstall, either over the
existing installation or after wiping the drive. On Red Hat i usually
do the wipe/reinstall, with data backup and restore. It is a big
hassle, especially if the machine is one that cannot be down for very
long.