[Cialug] uptime

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 13:12:18 CDT 2006

Dan is right.  Linux is basically a resident memory OS (that is once you
load a program into memory it stays running as the version and patch level
it was origionally loaded as).  The only way to use the new updates or
patches you've installed is to reload the program.  For the kernel this
basically means rebooting the OS (though arguably you could do a lot of work
using chroot in another environment and change it that way without
rebooting, but it's quite difficult and not at all worth it).

Uptime is fun and it does show the stability of Linux, but to actually keep
your machine secure you need to reboot every so often.

-Gamble

BTW - having programs fully loaded into memory is rather cool.  I once had a
desktop Linux system on which I had to uninstall KDE, QT and most of my apps
and then wait for all of them to recompile for a major system change.  So I
simply brought up KDE and loaded everything I thought I might use.  I didn't
bother finishing the update for a week.  Even though KDE was uninstalled it
continued to run because it was all in memory.