[Cialug] OT: Daydreaming out loud

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:18:50 CST 2006

On 1/4/06, Nathan C. Smith <smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> I was thinking something more like Google's compute experiment or
> SETI at home might be useful on the Google PC.  Google could fragment a
> problem - for example - OCRing all the text in images on the web by breaking
> it down into pieces and having each machine work through a fraction of an
> image as time and CPU permits.  Nothing too time sensitive.  Of course you
> would have to have an algorithm to prioritize which images were OCR'd first,
> and a way to break them down and distribute them etc. etc.  I've heard there
> are a few good minds a Google.

But wouldn't that be a whole lot easier to do with their GoogleDesktop or
whatever their windows software is called? Even as a firefox plugin or
something. Along the lines of distributed-OCR, have you looked at Amazon's
mturk? I half expected paypal to setup something like it before the Ebay
buyout -- you need your own micropayment setup, or it becomes too expensive
to be practical.