[Cialug] OT: Daydreaming out loud

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Jan 4 14:16:51 CST 2006

I agree, this is a bummer....  But did you see the Open Office USB thumb
drive? Wow... you plug in the thumb drive and load OO, and work on and
save your docs all on the same drive.... Now that's brilliant!

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 13:22, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> I saw that and I was a little disheartened.  I was hoping it was true,
> just like rumors of a web-based office suite a month or two ago.  At
> least Google is keeping Microsoft on its toes.
>
> The enemy of my enemy is my friend?
>
> I was thinking something more like Google's compute experiment or
> SETI at home might be useful on the Google PC.  Google could fragment a
> problem - for example - OCRing all the text in images on the web by
> breaking it down into pieces and having each machine work through a
> fraction of an image as time and CPU permits.  Nothing too time
> sensitive.  Of course you would have to have an algorithm to
> prioritize which images were OCR'd first, and a way to break them down
> and distribute them etc. etc.  I've heard there are a few good minds a
> Google.

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606