[Cialug] OT: Treos & other smartphones

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Tue Jan 3 15:50:28 CST 2006

Tmobile has an unlimited data plan for $25 / month (on top of your voice
plan). I have only ever used about 2.5mb of data according to the bill,
but I don't see how that's accurate.

In October I went to a halloween party, and took pictures of several
people in their costumes and emailed these to them. Plus I used my email
and did a lot of web surfing (gotta check the /. headlines while
standing in line, or check the weather forcast when you're already
outside, you know), and it still was just under 2.5mb according to the bill.

Tmobile does not sell the Treo any longer. I hear you can buy an
"unlocked" Treo on ebay and have the rep at the Tmobile store set it up
for their service. Try at your own risk, ymmv...

Of course, Tmobile may not work for you anyway, if you live, say, out in
the middle of nowhere on a lake.

A friend of mine has a Nextel Blackberry, and the first month he
travelled for 3 out of 4 weeks for business, and he used the email
extensively. His metered data plan bill was almost $2,000 for that month.

-dc