[Cialug]sarge+nocatauth

Anthony Jeffries ajeffri at loopysite.org
Sat Feb 18 01:15:51 CST 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:36:12PM -0500, Dan Hockey wrote:
> A)
> I've installed NoCatAuth-0.82 on debain sarge and now I'm trying to find
> httpd.conf.
> B)
> What pcmcia wifi cards does sarge like?
> -dh

I have been able to get atheros-based cards going...see madwifi.org for more
details. You may need to compile your Debian kernel from source, but you can
find instructions through madwifi.org. At the very least you will probably
need to compile the madwifi driver as a kernel module. My AP is running on
Sarge with a D-Link DWL-G520 PCI card. As long as you follow the
instructions, it's pretty painless. Make sure you keep a stock kernel
installed just in case your new kernel doesn't boot, should you choose to
compile a new kernel. Downsides to madwifi: it uses a non-open hardware
abstraction layer (to keep people from setting the wrong country setting and
therefore transmitting at illegally high power levels and on illegal
channels, allegedly), and MIMO is not supported yet. Ndiswrapper is another
option, but I was not able to make kismet work with this, so I went the
madwifi route.

Also, running "locate httpd.conf" will give you valuable clues regarding
question A. You may need to run "updatedb" as root to get locate to find
recently installed files.

--
Tony Jeffries
ajeffri at loopysite.org