[Cialug] Virtualization

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Feb 3 09:43:09 CST 2006

I am using VMWare Workstation to do that on my laptop.

The base is OpenSUSE 10, and I have virtual environments for:

Red Hat Enterprise 2
Red Hat Enterprise 3
Red Hat Enterprise 4
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9
FreeBSD 6
Windows XP (sometimes)

Once I got it set up, it works very well.  Setting them up (the way I
did) required some special boot options.  See, you get noticably better
performance if you use physical partitions instead of VMWare's virtual
disks.  But if you do this, you need to create virtual boot floppies so
that VMWare knows how to boot the system.

FreeBSD and Windows XP do not handle this method well, so they run
slower than my Linux installations.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701
>>> dave at 58ghz.net 02/03/06 7:28 AM >>>
Is anyone doing any virtualization? It would be really handy for me if I
could run RHEL 3, RHEL 4 and windows XP all on the same box, and
"toggle" in between running systems. (it would also give me an excuse to
finally buy that monster AMD 64 machine with a 24in LCD display)

What software are you using to do the virtualization? How does it work
for you?

:) Dave
--

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>