[Cialug] Soyo k7vme / VIA 8233 audio not working on Ubuntu 6.06

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Dec 12 14:50:59 CST 2006

Start with http://linux.iuplog.com/default.asp?item=94639

If that fails, your laptop may be like mine, and the solution is to
blacklist
the modem driver with /etc/hotplug/blacklist

This will stop the modem driver from loading when it detects the
sound card.  Thus, the kernel will load the sound driver instead.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> david l goodrich <dlg at dorkzilla.org> 12/12/06 2:45 PM >>>
I posted this over at the ubuntu forums, and was basically
ignored.  So much for many hands make light work :]  I'd
appreciate any advice you all would have.

I have a Soyo K7VME motherboard, which has VIA 8233 sound
onboard.  It's not working.  The module is loaded, nothing's
muted.  MP3 codecs are installed.  All the boring details have
already been posted to the ubuntu forums[1] but I'd love to know
if anyone has any other advice.

Thanks.
  --waldo

1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=317213