[Cialug] Preferred pop3 or imap daemons

Lars Althof lars at larch.dk
Mon Dec 11 20:12:56 CST 2006

James Shoemaker skrev:

> David Champion wrote:
>
>> James Shoemaker wrote:

>>   Advanced features like a folder that can hold both mail and folders?
>>
>>   I run cyrus at home (and have for 5-6 years) they use Courier at work
>> and I am always annoyed when I am required to chose if a folder holds
>> mail or folders.
>>
>> James
>>

>> This must be an old, or alternate setting for Courier. wu-imapd used to
>> behave that way too, no idea if it still does. I have no such folder
>> issues with my implementation running courier.
>>

>   Probably has to do with maildir vs mbox storage of mail.  The courier
> at work is running against mbox mailboxes.  I didn't know that courier
> could work against maildir.

I think this is interesting, because according to the author of Courier,
it cannot work with mbox, only Maildir. Anyway, I can't think of any
advanced features that are missing from Courier, and I can think of a
couple that are not in other servers.

I usually use Thunderbird to interface with my Courier server, and it
has never asked me, if I wanted a folder to be able to contain other
folders or not. I think that is a client issure, not a server issue.

/Lars