[Cialug] nvidia/ati

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 12:49:30 CST 2006

My experience has been that ATI and nVidia have the same problems when it
comes to Linux.  If you buy a newish card you're going to have to use their
propritary drivers.  And when it comes to the propritary linux drivers
nVidia wins hands down every time.  But as you said you're looking to use
the built in open source drivers that come with Xorg.  For that you're
probably going to have to find an older ATI card.  I have heard there are
some nVidia cards out there that support 3d with the open source drivers,
but I've not seen them personally (google might be helpful here).  I can
tell you a Voodoo 3000 AGP will work, but it's an EXTREEMLY old card.
Arguably there are more older ATI cards that work with the OS drivers
because there was an "accidental" release of spec info on ATIs part a couple
years ago that covered quite a few of their cards.  This royally pissed off
a lot of people at ATI and people that contracted with ATI in developing the
technology (or so the story goes).  There is also talk that nVidia might be
open sourcing some of their older cards drivers soon.  I'm hopefull that
goes through.

Your best bet is to do a web search for known cards that work well in
Linux.  It will probably be ATI but you might find some nVidia that work.
In a quick search I found these:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_DRI_with_ATi_Open-Source_Drivers
http://www.j5live.com/?p=194

Gentoo often has a lot of great documentation, no matter what distro you're
running.  From their info it looks like you'd want to get a radeon card
between 7000 and 9250
Buy hardware that you know has been tested and works well with the OS
drivers.

Apparently the ATI cards that work with the open source driver are all R100
or R200 series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R100
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R200

I'd say pick one from the R200 list and you should be fine.  Do a search for
configuring the card you choose to make sure it works well with the OS
drivers.

Good luck, hope this helps

-Gamble