[Cialug] Preferred pop3 or imap daemons

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Wed Dec 6 15:00:42 CST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:11:52AM -0600, Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> I need to set up pop3 and imap, anybody have any suggestions on which to
> use?  Most compatible?
>
> I'm using ubuntu and I see courier and qpopper, dovecot and teapop. Wu-imap
> etc. for Imap choices.
>
> I'm bewildered.  Right now Exim is installed for MTA.

I'm using Cyrus at home, and we are using it at work as
well (where work now == UMich). I use it for imap access
only. It is designed to be totally closed --- it stores
the mail in it's own directory space, one file per message
(very MHesque), so if you are wanting to do something where
people can use imap but also see a local mbox or maildir
directory, this is not what you want to use. I like it quite
a lot, but it does have a setup curve, and some of the
info to sucessfully set it up is rather strewn about
and hard to find.

I set up dovecot as part of my RHCE test --- it was easy
enough that I had about 20 minutes of training in it,
and got it working enough to pass that part of the test
in about 5 minutes. I have no practical experience in
it, however, so I can't really speak any more about it.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House upon the Canw, The People's Republic of Ames