[Cialug] Preferred pop3 or imap daemons

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Wed Dec 6 11:17:37 CST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 11:11 -0600, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> I need to set up pop3 and imap, anybody have any suggestions on which to
> use?  Most compatible?
>
> I'm using ubuntu and I see courier and qpopper, dovecot and teapop. Wu-imap
> etc. for Imap choices.

Dovecot is dead-easy for setup. Use the maildir for your storage. Cyrus
is harder, but is pretty fast.

ISPconfig is a web hosting control panel. Even if you don't want to host
multiple sites, it sets up a real easy to administer system, including
authenticated smtp, pop, imap and spam filtering.

It uses Postfix/Cyrus.

http://www.ispconfig.org/documentation.htm  (scroll down 80% to see the
how-to docs)
--