[Cialug] CVS for web projects

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Wed Aug 23 09:32:38 CDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Bryan Baker wrote:
> Maybe I'm nuts, but wouldn't it make more sense to make the live update use a
> CVS checkout from a CVS server on the dev side?
> iirc (it's been a while since I've really used CVS heavily) it does a similar
> thing to rsync when it does a checkout.
> That would require that you can initiate the update from the live server
> though.
> Maybe I just don't understand where you are going with this.

Yes and no. A lot of the work is either graphics, web uploaded content,
and HTML. Only a small percentage is done by people at a prompt. I had
thought about going this direction initially but need to take small steps.

> On Aug 23, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Dave Weis wrote:
>> I have a client that wants to use version control to keep a copy of their
>> site every time it's rsync'ed out to the live servers. I have it figured
>> out except for adding new files automatically to the repository. I don't
>> want a manual process to add files because it won't happen consistently and
>> there may be a lot of them added at any time.
>>
>> Any good ideas? I was hoping not to have to parse the CVS output of the
>> commit and look for ? and add them separately.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Weis
>> djweis at internetsolver.com
>> http://www.internetsolver.com/

> --
> Bryan Baker
> President
> Des Moines Macintosh Users Group
> http://www.dmmug.org
> president at dmmug.org

Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent
                       encroachments of those in power than by violent
                       and sudden usurpations."- James Madison