[Cialug] Mandriva 2006 update - mdadm error

dave at visionary.com dave at visionary.com
Tue Aug 22 20:26:03 CDT 2006

Just and FYI, in case this can save someone some headaches.

I updated my server from Mandriva 2005 to Mandriva 2006. When I booted it,
it complained about mdadm (the linux software raid utility) not being able
to find any devices for /dev/md1. Oddly enough, it was booting from
/dev/md0 and that seemed fine.

I've tried this once before and it failed, so I just did a full update.

I did a little looking around and found that the /etc/mdadm.conf file had
this line:

DEVICES

.. compared to the previous version (which I had backed up)

DEVICES /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 ...

I updated that file, did a "mdadm -A /dev/md1" to make sure it would load
the raid partitions, rebooted, and it all worked fine.

So, there is apparantly something wrong with Mandriva update script
dropping the device line. The rest of the file, with the ARRAY settings,
was fine.

-dc