[Cialug] Intel providing open source video card drivers.

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Aug 10 16:07:26 CDT 2006

The 965 is only available as onboard graphics, isn't it? I am going to
be building a new machine later this year and would be very happy if i
could get a graphics card with open source drivers. But i have pretty
much decided on going with AMD for the CPU. (The "Energy Efficient
Small Form Factor" version of the Athlon 64 X2 is just too tempting; it
only uses 35 watts power maximum, 14 watts under typical desktop load.)
Somehow i doubt that i could get an Intel chipset motherboard that
would support an AMD CPU. Oh well. I've been reading rumors lately that
AMD wants to open up the ATI graphics drivers (now that AMD owns ATI).
So maybe ATI will become an option instead.