[Cialug] Remote Access

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue Aug 8 11:22:16 CDT 2006

I don't have any thoughts on why it won't connect, but I'll reiterate
the point above that you should tunnel VNC through ssh.  Especially if
you have port 5900 open.  If some bored sysadmin between networks
started doing some sniffing, he could see your password, then login to
your machine, as you.

I VNC into my machines at home, tunnelling through ssh.  I can even
VNC into my Windows desktop.  I issue the following command:

ssh -L 5900:192.168.0.2:5900 linux.box.com, where 192.168.0.2 is my
Windows box.  Then, I start VNCViewer, telling it to go to localhost.

As far as VNC on Linux, I found a page a couple years ago that
suggested putting several entries in /etc/services for different
resolutions.  In my /etc/services, I have the following:
 #
 # VNC Servers
 #
 vnc-640x480x8 5950/tcp
 vnc-800x600x8 5951/tcp
 vnc-1024x768x8 5952/tcp
 vnc-1152x864x8 5953/tcp
 vnc-1280x1024x8 5954/tcp
 vnc-1600x1200x8 5955/tcp

 vnc-640x480x16 5960/tcp
 vnc-800x600x16 5961/tcp
 vnc-1024x768x16 5962/tcp
 vnc-1152x864x16 5963/tcp
 vnc-1280x1024x16 5964/tcp
 vnc-1600x1200x16 5965/tcp

 vnc-640x480x24 5970/tcp
 vnc-800x600x24 5971/tcp
 vnc-1024x768x24 5972/tcp
 vnc-1152x864x24 5973/tcp
 vnc-1280x1024x24 5974/tcp
 vnc-1600x1200x24 5975/tcp

 vnc-640x480x32 5980/tcp
 vnc-800x600x32 5981/tcp
 vnc-1024x768x32 5982/tcp
 vnc-1152x864x32 5983/tcp
 vnc-1280x1024x32 5984/tcp
 vnc-1600x1200x32 5985/tcp

Then if I want to connect to my Linux box at 1280x1024x32, I specify
:84 as the destination display for VNC.  VNC displays an X login, and
I'm good to go.  This is using RH 7.2.

On 8/8/06, Justin Richeson <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question on this though.  I've got a linux system setup at home
> that has vncserver running on it (ubuntu remote desktop) and I can access it
> from my windows desktop on my home network, but when I try and connect from
> elsewhere (I have port 5900 forwarded to it on my router) it won't connect.
> Any thoughts?
>

> On 8/8/06, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 August 2006 09:21, David Stout wrote:
> > >No my machine does not have a public ip. So If I forward port 22 on my
> > > router then install VNC viewer on the win x box Do I also need VNC
> > > Server installed on the SuSe 10.1 box or does it come installed?
> >
> > VNC server will need to be on the Linux box. I do not use Suse, but i
> > know that 10.1 is fairly recent so i would be surprised if it does not
> > include VNC packages on the installation media.

Tim