[Cialug] DSL v. Cable (Ankeny)

John.Lengeling at radisys.com John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Wed Apr 12 23:46:45 CDT 2006

> If anyone has a personal suggestion on what they consider the superior
> Internet service for this area is I would appreciate the tip.

I have had Qwest DSL with Freeze Notis for 3-4 years.  I generally have
1-2 small outages per year which may last from 30min-1.5hrs.
So I have seen about 99.99% uptime.  They also provide static IP addresses
for hosting servers.  It also seems that people with the dialup DSL
service have more problems than people with full time DSL connections.

I generally recommend the following high speed options to people in order
of descending preference. I hate to recommend Satellite, but if that is
your only choice it is better than dialup.

1 - DSL
2 - Cable
3 - Prairie Inet
4 - Satellite