[Cialug] Iowa Computer shows/sales?

Don Cady donc5 at mchsi.com
Wed Apr 12 18:10:44 CDT 2006

>> Regarding computer sales, the best place for cheap new stuff is online.
>> Offline, there's the various surplus sales, like ISU Surplus in Ames on
>> Wednesdays from noon to 3. The DOT in Ames also has surplus sales, but
>> they're less frequent, but those are for used/unusual equipment, like
>> Sun Ultras or VAXen. I think there are other sales around. Google is
>> your friend here.
>>
>> Also, watch the local user group mailing lists. People are always trying
>> to get rid of old computer stuff.
>>

>Google is great, but it's hard to find computer shows/sales as so many
>websites use those words without actually having any info.
>froogle.google.com is great for getting deals on most stuff, but
>unfortunately what I'm looking for is something that is normally only cheap
>at a computer show/sale.  Patch panels.  Plus I find them kind of fun so I
>just thought I'd ask.  Coming from Chicago where there was a computer
>show/sale about once every 2-3 months.
>
>Thanks,
>Gamble

Yea, they started out about every 6 months around here, then the attendence
went downhill, naturally responding to the quality, and they spaced them out
more.
And since the question of finding stuff comes up often enough, we put it in
the FAQ:
http://www.cialug.org/ewiki/?id=FAQ
Anyone want to add to it?

Don