[Cialug] Iowa Computer shows/sales?

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Apr 12 17:02:32 CDT 2006

Crap, sent the message from the wrong address again.  Here's my message, in
case it didn't come through.

The quality, the selection, the price, you name it.  Don't get me wrong,
they have the brand-name stuff too, but their prices aren't that much lower
than online, and good luck returning some of the items.  If you can test it
before the show closes, you're usually ok.  The knowledge of the people
leaves a lot to be desired.  You get suckered in by the "computers for $99",
only to find out they're absolute junk.  I don't expect a 2GHz box, but I
expect more than what I saw.  I used to enjoy going to it, but the last few
times, I've been convincing myself it will be different than the last time.

With that said, I did get a laptop hard drive last fall, but I got it from
Dymin, and I could've got it in there store at that price anyway.  So why
spend the $6, $7, or $8 (not sure how much it is now) to enter the show,
when you can check out (and support) your local dealers?

The last couple of shows they've been lumped in with the "Sales
Extravaganza" or something like that.  My wife ended up buying 3 blankets,
and they're nice blankets, but perfume, car stereos, electronics, tools,
jewelry, blankets, clothes, and computer parts?  Did I go to a computer
show, or Wal-Mart? :-p

On 4/12/06, Stuart Thiessen <sthiessen at passitonservices.org> wrote:

> Referring to the quality of items, I assume, or what in particular is
> "stupid" about it?
>
> Stuart
>
> On Apr 12, 2006, at 16:16, Tim Wilson wrote:
>
> > There's the "Super Computer Sale" at the fairgrounds in Des Moines.
> > That's usually held Mother's day weekend, and the weekend before
> > Thanksgiving. It has drastically gone down hill. I've heard people
> > (myself included) refer to it as the "Stupid Computer Sale".
> >
> > On 4/12/06, Brandon Griffis <brandongriffis at gmail.com> wrote:Just
> > curious if anyone knows of any regular computer show/sales around
> > Iowa. Or the best sites to watch for upcoming events of that kind.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Gamble

> > --

Tim