[Cialug] Domain Registration

Whil Hentzen lug at hentzenwerke.com
Mon Apr 10 11:58:46 CDT 2006

Claus wrote:
> Allen, don't feel attacked.  People here are just curious about the
> exact reason why godaddy is bad.  I think lot of people have transfered
> their domains to godaddy due to its low price but only few have
> experiences transferring them from godaddy to somewhere else.

Yeah, what he said. :)

I'm about the transfer the rest of my domains to godaddy because I've
been pleased with them for the last couple of years, and absolutely hate
both netsol and register. But then I've not tried to transfer from gd.
Your note raised a warning flag.

OTOH, netsol and register both have had, in the past, at least,
reputations of being difficult to deal with when you want to leave them.
I think they've learned their lessons....

This is important to me because the domains in question (that I'm about
to transfer) are my oldest and the ones I make money from), while the
current gd domains are more hobbyist/experimental in nature.

I was hoping to find/hear specifics instead of just general accusations.

Talk to 12 people and often you'll get 13 opinions about the
value/quality of a registrar...

Also
> registrars enact locks and other things to protect your domain from
> transfers that could potentially cause problems.
>
> So what was your situation?  Was the domain already expired when you
> tried to transfer it?  Where you able to finally transfer it or did you
> abandon it?

These are all potential problems, and if you were dealing with a newbie
rep, or one who was having a bad day, they might not have been very
helpful to you in navigating the process. Or maybe they were just a jerk
and got fired a week later, but that was a week too late tp help you. :)

Off to put all my eggs in one basket....

Whil