[Cialug] Domain Registration

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Mon Apr 10 09:56:43 CDT 2006

Allen, don't feel attacked.  People here are just curious about the
exact reason why godaddy is bad.  I think lot of people have transfered
their domains to godaddy due to its low price but only few have
experiences transferring them from godaddy to somewhere else.

The ownership issue of the domain name is always a big issue and most of
us want to retain it.  I know when I registered my first domain with
godaddy I looked at it closely as well and couldn't find anything that
stated that I would not own the domain.  If I'm wrong I certainly would
like to know before I transfer more domains to godaddy.

Unfortunately, one most often sees only the negative review as happy
customer relationships rarely end up on the Internet.  Negative reports
also often are not valuable since people don't tell the whole
situations.  I know domain transfers takes a lot of communication
between the domain owner, the new registrar and the old registrar in
order to protect against illegal and undesired transfers.  Also
registrars enact locks and other things to protect your domain from
transfers that could potentially cause problems.

So what was your situation?  Was the domain already expired when you
tried to transfer it?  Where you able to finally transfer it or did you
abandon it?

   Claus

PS, I have positive experiences with the French registrar Gandi.net.  A
bit pricy at 12 euros compared to godaddy.

General Question: Do you guys register and renew your domains mainly on
a yearly basis or go for the 10 years?  I've been going for the 10 years
lately.