[Cialug] Domain Registration

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Fri Apr 7 09:04:00 CDT 2006

I was using our webhost provider for domain name registration, but
since I use dyndns.com dynamic dns feature so much, I decided to get my
domain names through them. It has worked quite nicely so far. I plan to
transfer the rest of the domain names I am responsible for to them
soon.  It's about $15 for .net and .org and .com, I think.

We deaf are now using videophones extensively for our communication and
to access video relay service which allows us to call hearing people
over the phone with an interpreter or so hearing people can call us on
the phone through an interpreter. So, it was very cool to find the
dynamic DNS name services so we can give out names instead of IP's that
change. So that is how I started using them. FYI.

On a side note that occurred to me, do any of you know of any video
server capabilities under Linux?  For example, if you wanted to have a
video conference call with several (or more) h.323 video users, do you
know of a Linux project that would handle that? My understanding is
that H.323 only allows for point-to-point calls. It seems there are
commercial packages that run $20K or more that will somehow handle
this. I haven't looked into the new videophone protocol (h.264 I
believe). Maybe it allows for it. I don't know. Just thought I would
ask.

Thanks,

Stuart