[Cialug] voting think tank comment

Tom Poe tompoe at studioforrecording.org
Fri Sep 2 10:19:35 CDT 2005

Jeff Davis offered the following on 09/02/2005 08:39 AM:
> It depends on how accurate and tamper-proof you need it to be.
>
> A while back there was thread on one of
> securityfocus mailing lists on this topic.
>
> Some of the problems/issues were:
>  One of the biggest issues was that if
>  you have 1 machine running a program that
>  just displays the ballot and keeps a count
>  of the votes, there is no paper trail to
>  verify the results.  There are many scenarios
>  where a verifiable paper trail is needed.
>
>  The software needs to be open source for
>  several reasons, including ensuring that
>  the software developers didn't add in any
>  mechanisms for altering the vote count.
>
>  There needs to be a process in place to verify just prior
>  to voting that neither the hardware nor software has
>  been compromised.
>
>  You'll need at least a UPS and possibly a generator.
>
>  How will you handle a hardware failure?
>
>  Physical security:
>   If you have more than one machine in the set up, then
>   you have introduced a network connection which brings
>   the possibility of the vote being compromised.
>
>   How is the actual vote recorded? Via touch screen?
>   You don't want a voter alone in a booth with your
>   voting machine, a mouse, and keyboard.
>

> -Jeff
>

> Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> Hi, All:  Over at:
>> http://www.bbvforums.org/cgi-bin/forums/discus.cgi
>> if you click on the link for Think Tank, there's a huge international
>> discussion going on about voting, electronic and paper, stuff.
>>
>> The question is, can there be a simple computer program that displays
>> the ballot, records the vote, and prints out the raw data for up to
>> 1000 votes in a precinct.  The other requirement is it prints out a
>> ballot to serve as a paper ballot record.  That's the scope.  The idea
>> is to put a computer in a precinct, and conduct the vote for up to
>> 1000 people.  No network connection, internet connection, just the
>> computer performing those tasks.  Maybe there has to be two
>> computers.  One for generating a ballot.  And, one to receive the vote
>> count.  Seems like it should only be one computer to me.
>>
>> Anyone have a quick fix on what would be needed?  We don't want to go
>> beyond what it takes to do more.  Oh, and it has to be GPL, not
>> proprietary.  For all I know, there's a calculator in Engineering that
>> already does that.  Is it GPL'd?  :)
>> Tom

Hi, Jeff:  I'll go look for the thread.  Tamper-proof will be difficult,
at best.
1]  Rely heavily on chain of custody, and oversight, with the object of
not preventing, so much as detecting tampering
2]  machine displays ballot, prints ballot, counts vote, but paper
ballot is official count
3]  Software is open source, providing public scrutiny
4]  The election is not carried out behind closed doors at any point
5]  UPS and generator are indispensible, aren't they?  Absolutely, a
necessity, as we're going to wonder how the South will hold their
upcoming elections as a dramatic example
6]  How many computers would be needed to ensure we get through all 500
or 1000 voters?
7]  See #2 above, and wonder if we can find problems with that
8]  I am thinking we are raising the cost to those who want to tamper,
by shifting the official count back to paper.  We should be able to
control tampering with security measures as mentioned in #4.

Notice that this project is focused on just a single precinct.  We set
up for a single precinct, rather than try to have one that is statewide.
  Once we do it for one precinct, then each precinct can make choices
that fit their needs.  Presently, to keep costs down, the state has us
using a single vendor, and some truly interesting logic to move to
electronic voting.  Maybe that will be rethought, if there's a precinct
level option.

I really like your quick response.  Bet you have some better ideas, as
we share more details.  My best shot at this issue, so far, has been to
take the rather complex, but open source software from Australia, and
modify it to meet the project goals.  Not sure if that's doable, or not.
Tom

--
Open Studios, Charles City, Iowa, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/