[Cialug] Meaning of ethernet connectivity light

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Thu Oct 27 08:56:30 CDT 2005

If I remember right, isn't one pair of the wires used for the link?
I think you can have a link light a bad cable.

I'd switch with a known good cable as a first step. If you are sure you
have a hardware problem then all that is left is your nic, and the port
ethernet port on the actiontec... If your nic used to work, then it
would be safe to assume that the problems lies with ethernet port in the
actiontec.

I believe that it is not uncommon to get a bad actiontec modem.

:) Dave

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 08:48, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> That's an interesting question.
>
> I always thought it meant a link at the physical layer - which could still
> probably happen in a "bad-card" situation, but certainly it varies based on
> card implementations.  Some cards will present a link light before drivers
> are loaded while others will not.
>
> -Nate

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606