[Cialug] OT: mac-mini?

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Fri Oct 21 09:43:33 CDT 2005

I think there are two seperate issues here:  Values and Value.

Dave likes stuff that suits his personal values. Tony was looking for
something differant that suits his "operational" values. Operational
values here being "Does it work with my kids Ipod? Will the wife be
bugging me all the time about how to do stuff? If it doesn't work out
will the wife harass me about it being a dumb choice?

It would seem to me that if it is about Values and value, then the
choice is very black and white. If you say Values, the choice is no. If
you say value, the choice is yes.

:) Dave

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 09:31, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> > I think it is a container relationship. Mac OS X contains OpenDarwin. I
> > don't think anyone says it is the same thing.
> >

> >> Saying that MacOSX is a little bit proprietary is like saying someone
> >> is a little bit dead.
>
> > Uh, Oh, Black and white thinking.
> You say that like there's something wrong with it.
>
> I don't presume to speak for Dave, but I think his point was/is that
> you can use [insert linux distro] as a desktop OS using only OSS.
> You can't do that with OS X.   That doesn't make OS X bad and it's not
> some attack on you as an OS X user, it just makes Dave an OSS advocate.
> I'm sure we can all point out some feature that we'd like to have
> on linux that is missing, but that's the case with every OS.
> Most ordinary users are doing basic stuff: email, web surfing, and
> word processing.  Those things are (IMO) very well covered by linux.
>

> > Not just hardware driver support, but just configuration issues too. I
> > have to be honest ... I have tried to use Linux at home. The command
> > line didn't faze me much, but the GUI interface leaves a lot to be
> > desired in configuring the system. Ordinary users want to be able to
> > set everything up easily without ever having to go to the command line.
> > The challenge with Linux is that there is no clear indicator how to
> > perform those tasks.  That caused me to lose motivation to have Linux
> > on my desktop before because my wife and kids want something they can
> > follow. When I had to replace a stolen tower, I just decided that Mac
> > OS X has what I was looking for in a user experience that still allows
> > me to work with Unix based tools, etc.  I really recommend that the LUG
> > seriously consider how to educate the public on how to _use_ the
> > desktop on Linux so they can get more comfortable.
>
> I actually find that somewhat amusing because I've recently gotten my
> hands on an iBook. I'm trying to use it at home for normal things
> and I'm having the same 'problem' with OS X that you say you had with linux.
> Typically I just pester the mac guy here at work the next day.
> I use that as an example that neither OS is 100% intuitive and there
> *is* a learning curve.  If OS X works as a better solution for you
> that's great and I doubt anyone in this group will shun you for it.
> Just keep in mind that this is a Linux group, even though we all use
> other OS's (either at home or at work.)  Some are more fanatical than others.
>
> I'd like to point out that educating the public on how
> to "_use_" linux is what a TweakFest is about, and to a
> much lesser extent what a IntallFest is about. (e.g. Demo laptops & Live CDs)
>
> If there are any specific linux desktop things that you think ordinary users
> have trouble doing, please add them to the topic list on the LUG website or
> suggest them to the list.  Someone may respond by making a slideshow or
> do a presentation at a meeting.  I'm sure a ton of them could be
> [...]

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606