[Cialug] OT: mac-mini?

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Thu Oct 20 16:38:53 CDT 2005

I hear ya.  Actually within the major version (Panther, Tiger, etc.),
Mac updates cost nothing. I went from 10.3 to 10.3.9 without paying
anything extra.  10.3 to 10.4 will cost me $129. I lucked out for my
mac mini and got in just as they were ready to release 10.4, so I got a
cheaper upgrade for that ($10). I'll have to pay the normal upgrade
cost for my laptop.

For my home computer, I need to have something that is very easy to use
and basically intuitive. I did have Linux up at one time, but my wife
wasn't too excited about it. She is more satisfied with Mac OS X
because the user experience is more friendly compared to Linux.  Again,
I have to say that personally, I find the Linux desktop a hard sell
except for those who are willing to try something different. Even
OpenOffice is something I promote to everyone I can, but many people
complain about such and so a small feature that just isn't there in
OpenOffice and they won't switch because Office has that feature. Even
I have noticed that there are some very convenient features that are in
Office but not in OpenOffice (actually I use NeoOffice, but same
thing).

Apple has done an excellent job of presenting a polished interface that
can compete well with Microsoft. I personally feel that Linux has come
a long way, but for the average user, I am not sure that it is as
friendly as the Mac interface yet. That is just my perspective.  I use
Linux on the server side of things I do.  I've heard that Mac OS X for
server side things is not quite up to par. So, I tend to be Linux on
the server side and Mac on the client side.

While it is proprietary, I think it is a much more friendly OS and
environment for Linux and open source advocates than Microsoft OS's.
Further, I guess I think of the adage "The enemy of my enemy is my
friend". While Microsoft is not necessarily "the enemy", it isn't
nearly as friendly to open source as Apple is. For this time, Apple is
an excellent competitor to Microsoft and its OS is friendly for Open
Source, so I'd rather put my dollars with Apple than with MS. And if
the person learns Mac OS X and maybe even delves into its Unix side,
that is one step closer to Linux than that person would be under
Windows.

:)

Stuart