[Cialug] OT: mac-mini?

Jerry Weida jweida at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 16:22:30 CDT 2005

SP2 for Windows XP is a fix, not an upgrade (except for the firewall.) It
didn't offer anything new to operating system.
Likewise, fixes/patches for Mac OS X are free. It is only the times when
they are new functionality that they charge for the upgrade. They just don't
go skipping around version numbers like Microsoft does. They increment very
steadily.

As for the cost, the price vs. user friendliness wins out in my case because
my girlfriend doesn't want to learn how to do things in Linux and I'm not a
fan of using Mandrake/Redhat that provide pretty GUIs for everything (I
won't get started about my reasons for disliking those distros.)

All in all, I believe that the easy of use, the power of the underlying UNIX
system, and the huge strides in providing excellent integration with open
source software make the Mac a great platform for desktop and server
deployments. It's not for everyone, but hey, what is?